Less than three weeks til Christmas. Are you feeling the pressure yet? There are gifts to buy and wrap, meals to plan and prepare for, and your home to decorate! Before you go any further, why not think smarter and figure out ways to reduce your stress over the holidays.
Holiday Stress Busting Tips from Load of Rubbish
Contact Load of Rubbish to clean out your garage, basement and/or the spare room. You will need space for the stash that Santa is going to deliver—if you’ve been good, right! We take a load off (and out), by getting rid of your excess stuff to make room for the peace and tranquility the holidays are supposed to embody (and help make space for Great Aunt Sally to sleep in the guest room, after she’s had one too many rum and eggnogs). Plus, decorating is easier when you have a clean slate to work with!
- Shop local. Put money back in your community by shopping at small, local businesses. This offers peace of mind knowing you are supporting your community, and often a family directly, versus padding the pockets of corporate executives from giant Big Box stores. Often those gifts are more personalized and better quality, as well.
- Visit local craft sales to support budding entrepreneurs and give hand-crafted quality gifts for those you love. These will be the gifts that are remembered long after the jingle bells have faded.
- CRAFTED Show and Sale; The Arts Project, Nov 29 – Dec 23
- The Christmas Craft Show; East Park, Dec 7, 6 – 9pm (free rock climbing & jungle gym for the kids)
- All Things Unique Christmas Craft Show; Strathroy, Dec 10, 10am – 3pm
- Christmas Pop Up; 1027 Clarke Rd, Dec 10, 10am – 2pm
- Forest City Street Team Handmade Holiday Pop-Up; Covent Garden Market, Dec 10, 10am – 4pm
- Christmas Merry Makers Fair; Covent Garden Market, Dec 18, 11am – 4pm
Make time for family and friends. It doesn’t have to cost anything more than time, but the rewards are priceless and the memories last a lifetime.
- Take the kids to visit Santa (it might give you gift ideas too!)
- Go carolling (the walk around the block is good exercise, plus counters all those Christmas cookies)
- Check out local Christmas light displays (who doesn’t love Christmas lights?)
- Schedule a hot chocolate date with a fellow stressed-out friend to share and destress
- Hold a Christmas movie marathon with the family
- Go tobogganing at your local hill (weather pending)
- Hit the skating rink with friends! Victoria Park and Covent Garden Market are just two of London’s Free outdoor rinks
- Squeeze in time for exercise. There is plenty of research that proves the power of physical activity to help reduce stress levels. When your stress levels start to rise, hit the gym for an hour for some holiday stress busting!
- Say No. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. We can’t do it all, especially when the holiday task list seems to keep adding up (cards, presents, dinners, parties, and another Secret Santa gift?!). If your stress levels are beginning to skyrocket give yourself the gift of personal space and take a few things off your to-do list.
- Give back. Why not think about giving back this year? Volunteers are often key to many charity organizations who offer services over the holidays. Feel better about yourself, by giving to those in need this Christmas. Here are just a few places you might consider;
- Salvation Army London Christmas Kettles (actively seeking kettle ringers)
- London Food Bank
- Meals on Wheels
- Mission Services
- London Humane Society (dog walking & cat socializing opportunities)