You can almost feel the brush of fall in the air. Days are getting shorter, temperatures are getting cooler, and school bells are set to ring on a new school year. With a change in seasons comes a great time to clean out your home in preparation for those long winter nights ahead. In anticipation of spending more time indoors, why not take some time today to make your home more welcoming. Purge items that no longer serve a purpose. Discard junk that brings you down. Clean your home of clutter. You will be happier for it and your home will feel more inviting and livable.
Trust us. As junk removal experts, Load of Rubbish sees the effects that getting rid of junk has on people every day—they’re thrilled! Why not start with some of these easy to get rid of items today. Once you experience the liberation that comes with losing excess junk, you just might be tempted to get rid of even more! Remember that Load of Rubbish is just a phone call away for all your junk removal and estate cleanup needs.
25 Items to Get Rid of Today
from the kitchen:
- scratched teflon pans
- kitchen storage containers without lids (or lids without containers!)
- chipped dinnerware
- stale spices – If you are taking the time to cook from scratch, do yourself a favour and use fresh spices versus the ones that came in the jars you bought 10 years ago!
- kitchen tools you rarely use – Have you ever used your pastry scraper, piping bag & tips, bread maker or juicer? If they just gather dust, give them the heave ho!
from the bedroom:
- clothes that no longer fit or haven’t been worn in over six months – If you didn’t wear it this season, chances are you won’t wear it next season either. Free up your closet for the pieces you love!
- singleton earrings
- jewellery you no longer wear
- old perfume/cologne
- bent or broken hangers – Do your clothes a favour and use sturdy hangers to keep the clothes you love looking their best.
from the garage:
- empty plant pots
- half empty paint cans – Colours fade over time, so if you’re keeping those old paints for touch-ups, know that your colour match probably won’t be very accurate after a few years.
- old tires
- rusty or broken tools – If you haven’t fixed them by now, you never will. Face it.
- unused exercise equipment – It’s only worth keeping if you use it. If not, it’s just dead weight that deserves to go.
from your home office:
- old electronics
- dried up pens
- floppy disks – Floppy disks are a technology of the past. Invest in a zip drive for more storage capability & less space used.
- extra cords – Every gadget comes with a variety of cords, but many of them are interchangeable. Save some space by getting rid of extras
- taxes older than 7 years – While you need to keep your income taxes in case of auditing, the government only goes back seven years, so you can safely discard anything older than that
from the living room/playroom:
- broken toys
- old magazines
- extra blankets/throws – Instead of hoarding a closet’s worth of extra blankets, think about donating them to an aid organization in need; Mission Services, Salvation Army, and Women’s Community House are just a few organizations which accept donations for people in need
- scratched & old CDs/DVDs – Be realistic—you watch it on netflix or listen
What else could you add to the pile of junk for Load of Rubbish to pick up?