Ready to start the New Year off on the right foot? One of the best ways to do that is by cleaning and purging your home of unnecessary items. No need to take last year’s mess into the new one. A new year is the perfect time to tackle decluttering your home. The question is where do you start?
New Year’s Purge: Decluttering Your Home
The best way to begin the process of decluttering your home is by focusing on a single room at a time. This will help prevent overwhelm and burnout, which can lead to giving up altogether. So let’s take a look at five ways to declutter your home.
1. Get rid of excess clutter – The first step to becoming organized is getting decluttered . When you have too much stuff, it’s hard to find what you need and easy to lose track of things. Start small by choosing a room of your home that could benefit from being less cluttered, then set a timer for 15 minutes and go through the space picking up everything that isn’t necessary. If it doesn’t bring you joy, find a home for it away from its current location (i.e. garage sale, donation site).
2. Group like items together – Once you’ve decided what stays and what goes, grouping like items together will make organizing easier. For example, create a basket for all of your scarves and store them together in the closet. This will make it easy to find what you’re looking for without mixing up your belongings with someone else’s. If you have children, consider creating separate baskets or bins for each child to maintain order.
3. Establish zones for different areas of the home – When determining zones for your home, you’ll want to consider where things are used most. For example, if you’re looking for a place to store shoes by the front door, it makes sense to place them closer to that area instead of the back patio. It’s also important to make sure everyone in your household knows where to place things and that your children help too.
4. Use labels whenever possible – Labels not only look nice, but they ensure items end up back in the right spot. This is especially important for those with memory issues, such as dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, as it helps keep track of their belongings and lowers anxiety levels. You can use different shaped stickers or tags to indicate the contents of each bin or basket.
5. Break it down into manageable steps – Make decluttering your home a priority in 2022 by setting goals for yourself. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, focus on just one room at a time. Make the effort to stick with it until you’ve completely decluttered that room, then move onto the next. Also, try to pick a time of day that’s best for you, whether that’s after work or first thing in the morning, so you have the rest of the day free to enjoy your newly decluttered space.
And there are five ways to declutter your home!
If you’re looking for additional resources to rid your home of excess clutter, contact Load of Rubbish. We can provide you with the professional tools and expertise necessary to make decluttering your home easy.