“I’m bored. There’s nothing to do… “
School’s been out for exactly two weeks, but have you heard this all too familiar refrain from your kids yet? Don’t let it drive you crazy. Summertime is a great time to lay back and relax, but if your children are making you nutty complaining of boredom already, it is time to get creative. While it doesn’t hurt kids to figure out their own ways to unwind and entertain themselves, sometimes a helping hand of ideas is just the thing to jump-start a summer of fun for everyone. Maybe some of these summer entertainment ideas will get kids moving and be the inspiration they need to come up with some fun of their own.
Summer Entertainment Ideas for Kids
- Play a board game – find a piece of shade and grab a classic game for the kids to play
- Play a game to get you moving – get outside and enjoy the beautiful summer weather while we have it
- Expand your mind – read a book, do a logic puzzle, put together a puzzle
- Get moving – go for a swim, ride a bike, strap on some roller skates
- Get creative – paint a picture, write a story, make a movie
- Build something – break into the craft and model kits the kids got for Christmas and birthdays
- Take it easy – Have a picnic, go to the beach, take a nap in the hammock, star gaze, go to a park, take a nature hike, learn a new skill, bake some cookies, light a campfire, plant a garden…
Relax! It’s summer. You’ve got nothing but time to enjoy all those long summer days and warm summer nights. If all else fails and you still can’t get your little darlings engaged, hand them a chore chart to keep them busy. That might encourage them to find something to do in a hurry.
Enjoy your summer!